Magnet started its second development centre in Ahmedabad in Gujarat. Many people including candidates at recruitment drive ask me – why Ahmedabad? People are surprised that we chose Ahmedabad and not Pune, Gurgaon or any other city.
Our rational for choosing Ahmedabad was the following:
1. Majority opined that Gujarat had missed the IT Bus. Its lack of English Speaking populace, lack of professionalism and mobility among employees (not entrepreneurs!) and lack of serious effort by Government to promote IT were cited as the key reasons.
However, Magnet Team feels strongly that Gujarat would be cover up the lost ground in IT and emerge as a serious contender. Magnet would like to be the one of the first companies in the high end Web Technologies in Gujarat. Thus we live true to our tradition of being pioneers by profession.
2. Magnet wanted to choose emerging centres. We had considered Nagpur, Surat and even Kolkata. But finally we choose Ahmedabad. Ahmedabad has grown very rapidly in the last three years and the mega city is showing no signs of cooling off.
3. Magnet takes its contribution to open source and Gujarati world seriously. Most of our projects for Gujarati language technology are in Gujarat. We have exclusive MOUs with Mahatma Gandhi’s Gujarat Vidyapith in Ahmedabad and H M Patel Institute in Anand for Gujaratilexicon.
4. Ahmedabad houses our statutory auditors and our close friends and associates.
5. Ahmedabad has talented and passionate youngsters with dedication – the most important ingredient for IT Sector.
Finally, Ratan Tata said, “You are stupid if you are not in Gujarat!” That would lay to rest any doubts regarding Gujarat.